Senior Staff Writer
The Senior Staff Writer performs a key role in the Editorial Department. He/she is expected to generate a high volume of engaging, high-quality content for Rowland Publishing’s (RPI’s) proprietary titles; contribute to the veracity, reputation and authenticity of those publications; adhere to ethical standards applicable to a print journalist; and conduct himself/herself in the best interests of RPI. In addition to writing and reporting, the senior staff writer is called upon to be familiar with all aspects of the editorial department and to complete tasks usually completed by the executive editor when the editor is not available to carry them out.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Report and write stories at the direction of the executive editor.
- Conduct research and prepare questions prior to interviewing sources.
- Adhere to story synopses, word counts and deadlines established when assignments are made.
- Generate story ideas and participate in meetings held to write story lineups for individual editions of magazines.
- Contribute to annual Editorial Department meetings held to establish editorial calendars.
- Edit, as directed, stories written by freelance contributors.
- Stay current as to developments in the communities served by RPI publications.
- Serve freelance contributors as a resource and mentor.
- Become familiar with the editorial story tracking system.
- Write photo captions, headlines, cover text and sidebars as dictated by RPI style and layouts.
- Review story proofs as directed by the executive editor.
- Attend RPI meetings with implications for the Editorial Department.
- Conduct self in a manner consistent with RPI’s core values.
- Respect co-workers, be prepared for the unexpected and be mindful of the company’s short- and long-term goals.
- Carry out other duties as assigned
More details will be shared during the interview process. This is a full-time position. Submit a cover letter when applying. Please apply using the form below.